Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Musicals ................







I just finished watching Bye Bye Birdie with Ann Margaret and Bobby Rydell. It was one of my favorite musicals as a kid. Our local town did this a few times over the years, not really sure who played the parts, but I loved it.

I used to go to all of the musical productions the school had; my favorite was You're a good man Charlie Brown. Some of my favorite classmates to hear singing were Georgia Swan, Michael Sharrow (who had the voice of an angel), Maureen Sharrow, Terri Hand, Leslie McMartin. So many talented people.

I would give anything to be able to sing. I truly believe that the angels must sound like some of the voices I hear on this earth. I get chills down my spines and feel all teary eyed listening to some voices. I heard a new voice a few weeks ago, Declan Galbreath or something like that. It was so tender, so beautiful, so pure.

Growing up, we would get all of the commercials for the big musicals and my sister Judy and I wanted to go to New York City to see a real live musical. We had planned to take a bus and go see Evita, or Fiddler on the Roof, anything. I'm almost 50 and still haven't made it to NYC, but I have seen some musicals on stage.

When I lived in Dallas, the first musical I got see on stage was Fiddler on the Roof. It was really good, I loved all of the songs. I am pretty sure it was Topol who starred in it. Had to be over 20 years ago now.

I then got to see My Fair Lady with Richard Chamberlain. I loved Richard Chamberlain. I remember him first for Dr Kildare, such a handsome man. Then I adored him in all of the mini-series/TV movies he did: Shogun, the Bourne Identity and then my favorite: The Thorn Birds. I thought he was the epitome of Father Ralph Debriccassart. When I heard he was coming to Dallas in My fair Lady, everyone joked that he was gay and I begged to differ. There was NO WAY. We jokingly argued for weeks about his sexuality. Little did I know. I was so excited to see him at the summer musicals and then, well, his feet never touched the floor. He glided from one side of the stage to the other. We got to meet him afterwards at a charity event for AIDS and it was very apparent. I remember him looking so polished, so pristine, and extremely effeminate. I couldn't believe it. I didn't want to believe it. I wanted him to be the man I wanted him to be. Oh well, lol, it was years later that he came out to the world about his sexuality. He did do a good Professor Higgins though.

Then I went to see Evita. It was good, although I think it would have been better to see it on Broadway. That was my favorite commercial as a 12-13 year old, was the previews for Evita. I can still hear the song "Don't cry for me Argentina". I remember having tears fall listening to it on stage.

I didn't get to see the broadway shows Jesus Christ Superstar, Rent, or Dreamgirls, but the movie versions were wonderful to me. I loved JCS so much I joined a fan club for the lead, Glenn Carter. I liked the movie version with him better than the older one with Ted Nugent. My favorite scene is his solo, singing in the garden of gethesemane, such a beautiful voice. It was interesting to find out that the actor who played Christ was not even a Christian or anything similar to christianity. Ever heard of Raelians? if you want interesting readings, look them up one day. They claimed to have cloned a baby and I wouldnt' doubt it.

I loved the movie version of Rent and think I like Rosario Dawson better than the original broadway actress. I also liked Tracie Thomas as Joanne. I think that cast is one of the most talented one as whole of any I have seen. I could watch it over and over and over. Its one of those musicals that I love every single song in it. My favorite songs are the ones sang by Adam and then the ones by Jesse.

For me, Dreamgirls was the redemption of Jennifer Hudson. the first time I heard her sing I had chills. She was so talented and I thought from the beginning of that season of American Idol, so far ahead of every other singer that season, including Fantasia. She nailed Dreamgirls. I like Jennifer Holiday, but when I heard Jennifer Hudson sing the songs of Effie, it felt like those lyrics and that music was written just for her. I loved Eddie Murphy and thought he also deserved the Oscar. I saw it on a sneak preview night at a local movie theater in Orlando and it was the only time in my life I ever witnessed something like that, at the end of the movie, the whole entire audience stood up and screamed and gave a standing ovation, to a movie screen. That speaks for itself.

I miss going to see musicals. I am hoping that I get to see some here in Raleigh/durham. Maybe the colleges will put on some musical productions. I'd love to see other versions of the musicals listed above, or a few I never got to see. I never got to see Miss Saigon, so maybe one day.

For now, I will settle on listening to my showtunes in the car or on my IPOD as I fall asleep.


2 comments:

Dee2 said...

Why don't you plan a trip to NYC to see a musical with one of your sisters? It;s like a 9 hour trip right? It could be a fun weekend.

Feebs said...

I would love to go, but I doubt anyone would consider going, except maybe Judy. She was my musical partner. We had a pact to go see Evita one day.